If you are looking for high-quality protein dog food, our reviews of the best salmon dog food will enable you to pick the best for your pet. You may want to switch to salmon dog food if your dog has a weak stomach that is sensitive to poultry meat.
The best salmon dog food we have reviewed below can be used as daily diets that are not hypoallergenic. Aside from being hypoallergenic, this sea-food based dog food diet is also beneficial for the brain and the digestive system.
What is salmon meal in dog food?
In dog food, salmon meal refers to a refined dry powder made by rendering and grinding whole salmon fish and the bones, as well as offal from processed salmon. Although it carries a strong smell that dogs enjoy and are fond of, it can be awful to some dog parents.
There is a hot debate regarding this process of rendering salmon with experts saying it affects the salmon’s nutritional quality. I do not know what your stand is as a dog parent on this matter. Most nutritionists, however, argue that compared to fresh salmon ingredients, salmon meal has low nutrition benefits. This might be true since food processing decreases nutritional value.
Nonetheless, salmon meal is a terrific source of natural, amino acids, fats, as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals. It also has approx. 5% to 7% water which makes it more concentrated than fresh fish and has high amounts of omega-3 and 6 oils.
Salmon dog food benefits
While your canine buddy enjoys the flavor that comes with high quality salmon dog foods, there are many ways that they can benefit from the omega-3 & 6 fatty acids. Here are the 5 major salmon dog food benefits:
- Rich in protein content which supports growth of lean, strong muscles and maintaining a healthy body weight. Animal-based protein with all the needed 10 amino acids.
- Salmon is a novel protein which makes it a good choice for dogs with sensitivities and allergies from common proteins.
- Contains omega-3 & 6 fatty acids that promote skin health and a lustrous coat.
- Helps reduce inflammation and supports bones and joint health, especially in senior dogs.
- Contains DHA that support brain health and development in puppies while promoting cognitive function and neurological health in adult dogs.
Other benefits associated with salmon in dog foods include promoting heart health, controlling hyperlipidemia, reducing blood pressure, and slowing cancer cells. Salmon in dog food is also said to benefit pooches with kidney disease.
Below are our top 10 picks:
10 Best Salmon Dog Foods Reviews 2021
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, and Peas
A favorite with both puppies and grown dogs, Canidae dry salmon dog food is perfect for pets with allergic stomachs. In addition, it uses limited ingredients utilizing just five products. Steering far from familiar substances such as soy, wheat, and corn. Alternatively, this dog food reflects the essential nutrients of chickpeas.
Based on the dog’s reactions, pet carers concurred that the this Salmon Dry Dog Food is a portion of excellent pet food.
CANIDAE PURE Real Salmon, Limited Ingredient, Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food
$44.00 in stock
- Limited ingredient dog food filled with ingredients you recognize
- 10 Key ingredients or less
- Packed with the goodness of premium, clean proteins
- #1 Ingredient real meat, poultry or fish
- Beautiful skin & coat supported by Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids
The critical component in the method is the salmon. The stuff additionally is composed of vitamins and vital probiotics. It’s free of also gluten, and gluten as well. This dog food is acceptable to some pets for ordinary healthy adults – puppies, seniors, and all stages.
Produced from the tasty salmon, this salmon dog food brand is a perfect pet food brand ideal for older pets. This comprises a nutrient formula that’s made from lettuce and real salmon.
Additionally, this salmon dog food contains four sources that are unique antioxidants to enhance the defence mechanisms. On a daily nutrition mode, this product contains 30 per cent protein that assists the rise of the cells on your pet.
Purina ONE Pack of 2 SmartBlend True Instinct Grain-Free Formula with Real Beef & Sweet Potato Dog Food 12.5 lb. Bag
- Real beef is the number 1 ingredient
- Nutrient-dense grain-free formula with 30 percent protein to help support strong muscles and an active lifestyle
- Made without corn, wheat or soy
- Crunchy kibble made without artificial colors or flavors
- Natural sources of glucosamine to help support healthy joints
Constructed to satisfy the power needs of one’s pet, this version isn’t difficult to consume and great to preference. The product owns some typical properties of the food and has no fillers.
first 5 Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Whitefish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes
A routine on the market which speak about pet food, this dry pet food is full of leading and high-class protein. It comprises glucosamine or chondroitin that aids in the evolution of wholesome joints and bones.
Unlike grade services and versions, this dog food will not use carcinogens but utilize some vital ingredients. Fifty-five per cent of this model is derived from the salmon meal, sweet potatoes. On the other hand, this one is acceptable and of most breeds too.
Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Recipes, Salmon, 4 Pound
- #1 INGREDIENT: DEBONED MEAT, FISH OR POULTRY: Merrick Grain Free dog food recipes contain leading levels of high quality proteins for healthy energy levels, building muscle mass and a great taste your dog will love.
- HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT, HIPS AND JOINTS: These grain free dog food recipes contain leading levels of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat plus leading levels of glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain your dog's hip and joint function.
- REAL WHOLE FOODS FOR OPTIMAL NATURAL NUTRITION: Merrick Grain Free dog food recipes include real, whole foods like sweet potatoes, peas, apples, blueberries and contain zero preservatives, fillers, corn, wheat, soy or gluten
- A VARIETY FOR EVERY BREED AND NEED: Merrick Grain Free dog food offers a range of specially crafted recipes to nourish all types of dogs, offering: puppy food, senior dog food, large breed dog food, and an option for those dogs needing a little help to maintain a healthy weight.
- At Merrick, we promise your pet will not only love the taste of our natural dog food, they’ll be happier and healthier, too. That’s why if you (or your pet) are not 100%, absolutely, totally, completely satisfied with Merrick Grain Free dog food, return it for your money back. We don’t just make the best food ever. We stand behind it.
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Ocean Fish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas
This product is full of poultry; the dry pet food is a great supply of essential acids or fats required for healthful muscles that are strong.
The item is supported with more fresh veggies which offer fatty acids and antioxidants to get a fur which receives more lights. This helps the puppy with great immunity.
It has no additives like grain, wheat, and synthetic sweeteners; the dry pet food is convenient in the tummy since it’s laced using probiotics.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Grain-Free Recipe with Smoked Salmon Adult Dry Dog Food, Vitamins and Antioxidants 28lb
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with SMOKED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the main ingredient; high protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, IMMUNE system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from trusted and SUSTAINABLE local and global sources.
- Formulated without grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors or artificial colors
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, Menhaden Fish Meal
The next version with a greater amount of protein contaminated food accentuated with salmon. Salmon is your principal ingredient with this pet food. It eventually includes beneficial veggies, fruit, the low carb or protein amount of one’s dog to meet.
The meals also give the fundamental Omega, and essential acids requested to get a perfect fur and digestive system.
The excellent solution is the fact that kibbles are treated to store its nutrition amount and even enhance the lifespan of it without synthetic substances.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Salmon 24-lb
$58.98 in stock
- PACKED WITH REAL SALMON: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real salmon to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Salmon
6. Wholehearted Salmon Dog Food: Wholehearted Grain-Free Premium Salmon Dry Dog Food
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Salmon Meal, Lentils, Pea Flour, and Chickpeas
This grain-free all life stages salmon and pea recipe dry dog food from PETCO Brand is a fantastic option for the best salmon dog foods in the list. It has real salmon as the first ingredient which is a flavor your dog will enjoy with loads of nutritional value for a healthy and happy dog.
Is wholehearted salmon dog food healthy? Yes, this high quality salmon dog food recipe is complete and balanced with wholesome ingredients that are readily available including veggies, salmon meal, and more. It also includes omega-3 fatty acids that help promote healthy skin and lustrous coat. In addition, it comes with canine probiotics that help support a smooth digestion and contains no fillers.
With 4.8/5 stars ranking in 371 global ratings, this Wholehearted salmon dog food has
- Good value for money
- Tasty & nutritious
- Supports overall dog health
- Healthy ingredients
- Plant protein included
Buy on Amazon or Chewy
7. Salmon Dog Food for Allergies: Nutro Limited Ingredient Salmon Dog Food
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Salmon Meal, Dried Potatoes, Lentils, and Chickpeas
If you are looking for salmon dog food that is specially prepared with your adult dog in mind, Nutro got you covered. The recipe has salmon as the first ingredient which provides vital amino acids to build muscle mass. All the ingredients are non-GMO.
This limited ingredient diet salmon and lentils recipe dog food has been crafted to reduce food sensitivities and support healthy digestion to ensure your dog stays happy. It ensures that your pooch gets all the natural nutrition he requires from his daily diet. In addition to high quality taste, this recipe has omega-6 fatty acids with every bite, B vitamins, and zinc to promote a healthy skin and shiny coat.
The recipe has 3702 kcal/kg caloric content with 20% protein, 14% fat, 2.5% fiber, and 10% moisture.
- Premium ingredients
- Supports digestion health
- Reduces food sensitivities
- Nutrient-rich & tasty
- Not for puppies
8. Dog Food with Salmon and Sweet Potato: Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
First 5 Ingredients: Salmon, Garbanzo Beans, Peas, Menhaden Fish Meal, and Pea Starch
Does your dog prefer dog food with salmon and sweet potato? Nature’s Recipe grain-free dry dog food is an ideal choice. The recipe includes real salmon as the first ingredient which contains high quality protein content that helps promote muscle mass in your pooch. It is grain-free which makes it a good pick for dogs with grain sensitivities.
The recipe includes pumpkin and sweet potato as the sources of carbs that are rich in nutrients and easily digestible and sweet. Your dog will enjoy this formula that offers sustained energy with antioxidant-rich veggies and fruits to support immune health and omegas for skin and coat health. It is the best choice for active dogs in need of natural dog food.
This formula contains 3470 kcal/kg caloric content with 27% protein, 12% fat, 4% fiber, and 10% moisture.
- Incredible taste
- High-quality protein
- Good for active dogs
- Contains garbanzo beans
9. Dog Food with Salmon and Rice: American Journey Active Life Formula
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, and Rice Bran
Are you looking for salmon dog food with grain for your active doggie friend? Your pooch will love this formula from American Journey that contains deboned salmon as the first ingredient. The premium quality protein from salmon fuels his active spirit and keeps them healthy.
One of the best American journey salmon dog foods, this recipe is complete and balanced with nutrient-rich veggies such as sweet potatoes and carrots making it more delicious and digestible. In addition, it includes a blend of antioxidants and nutrients to promote immune and overall body health, while the balanced omegas promote a healthy skin and lustrous coat. This salmon dog food not grain free contains easily-digestible grains like barley and brown rice for fiber content.
This salmon dog food from American Journey boasts 4.6/5 stars rating on customer reviews at Chewy and has 3506 kcal/kg caloric content with 25% protein, 15% fat, 6% fiber, and 10% moisture.
- Easily digestible
- High quality protein
- Nutrient-rich & palatable
- Well-rounded & balanced
- For adults only
- Complaints about some batches
Buy on Amazon or Chewy
10. Orijen Salmon Dog Food: Orijen 6 Fish Dry Dog Food
First 5 Ingredients: Whole Atlantic Mackerel, Whole Atlantic Herring, Monkfish, Acadian Redfish, and Flounder
This review cannot be complete without Orijen salmon dog food in it as the brand stands out among the top quality dog food manufacturer in the market. This bio-appropriate diet features six different types of whole fish in its ingredients making it tasty and nutritious. The 85% premium fish ingredients offer high-quality protein source to support your dog’s overall health.
In addition, this raw diet is frozen to retain nutritional value and tastiness making your doggie to wag his tail in satisfaction. Also, the kibble is smeared with freeze-dried liver for additional palate. Other ingredients in the list include vitamins and minerals as well as omegas for a healthy immune system and skin health plus shiny coat.
This premium salmon dog food has 4.8/5 stars rating on customer reviews in Chewy and contains 3900 kcal/kg caloric content with 38% protein, 18% fat, 4% fiber, and 12% moisture.
- Six fish combined protein
- Rich in nutrients
- Excellent flavor
- Supports overall dog health
- Some dogs hate the flavor
Buyer Guide for Best Salmon Dog Food
Some puppies could struggle from sensitive cases that induce allergies. At the exact period, they want a good proportion of protein from the best salmon dog food.
Different seafood and salmon stipulates a source of nourishment for your pet. They have been enriched with essential minerals as well as vital acids to your good immunity, although light on the stomach. Many seeds really, although some salmons are rich sources of essential acids that are crucial for the great fur.
2. Reasons for grabbing this pet food?
Below are a couple of explanations derived from dog food comparison.
Protein abundance: This owns rather top vital nutrients for many physiological tasks. This is a great origin of essential acid, that is critical for the general health of the joints and skin.
Amino-acids: proteins are requested for digestive health and nutrients construction. These are contained in a great deal of salmon.
Nutrients amount: Salmons is greater with a lot of nutrients like potassium, magnesium, Vitamin E and D.
Mercury: In line with the FDA, these food seeds are among the five most frequently consumed fish, which are lower than usual. Thus, getting this pet food being eaten by your pooch will reduce germ contact. Extend the interaction may be damaging to your pooch’s overall health.
3. Tips for Selecting a perfect salmon pet food
Steak is the crucial low carb origin of dogs who are sensitive to it. A few days later, salmon can be used from raw dog food suppliers in conjunction with different low carb origins.
Salmon: Assess the tag to discover when this stuff is created from authentic salmon as well as perhaps not salmon soggy. Salmon flavouring that is artificial will not have health advantages that you could get.
Entire nutrition: You need to guarantee that pet food you select is healthy and perfect. The content and also the ingredients’ elements have to fulfil the recommendations controlled by the AAFCO organization for nutrient adequacy. It has to be a mixture of fats, carbohydrates, and carbs. It could comprise extra added vitamins such as A or E, that act as antioxidants.
No Filler: the meals must have no fillers, colours and bad grains such as wheat, corn germ, and so forth. It has to be without any meat—just the steak need to utilize for your puppies food. Stay away from poultry meat when your furry friend is sensitive as well.
Keep away from synthetic additives: It is great to get far away from synthetic preservatives. Alternatively, start looking ascorbate as synthetic additives. They are such as vitamin D and E, that are commonly discovered into them. Make sure that the pet foods do not include some BHT, BHA as well.
Your pet’s age: You have to select food based on this age and also the amount of energy for one’s dog. Some famous names are labelled having”Senior” and”Tiny Breed” for showing that point the foodstuff is fitted with. The AAFCO puts some rules on the amount of protein and calories dogs, and mature dogs need.
Chicken vs. Salmon dog food? Which one is better?
One of the most confusing things for many dog parents is finding out the best meat source for their canine friends. With all the myths and facts about dog nutrition from vets, owners, experts, and enthusiasts, it leaves many mixed up about what protein source is best for their pooches. From fish to game meats and farmed chicken, there are many options. Today, we shall compare chicken and salmon dog food to see which one is a better protein source for your dog.
Both chicken and salmon are common protein sources for most dog foods in the market that are very nutritious and full of flavor that your dog cannot resist. Unfortunately, both chicken and salmon do not offer all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive. Let us see both proteins in dog foods.
Chicken dog foods are common since chicken is an inexpensive meat source and very high in protein. In addition, chicken is rich in B3 & B6 vitamins as well as selenium and phosphorous which have high nutritional value to your dog’s health. This popularity of chicken in dog foods, however, has led to some dogs developing chicken allergies making them unfit if your dog has food intolerances.
Salmon dog foods are also common in most dog foods as it is a terrific protein source that is low in fat content, vitamins & minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. Luckily, only a few dogs are allergic to fish which make salmon a fantastic meat choice for dogs suffering from allergies. Salmon dog foods are categorized under hypoallergenic foods for dogs.
In conclusion, both chicken and salmon dog foods are excellent sources of protein for dogs. However, salmon stands out since many dogs have become allergic to chicken which makes it a great alternative protein source for dogs with allergies.
How to make homemade dog food with salmon
If you are searching for this, it means that you are considering homemade salmon dog food recipes. I understand it is because you want the best for your puppy since the best, nutritious, and healthy diet is part of caring for him. It makes them healthy and strong.
After you have gathered all the organic ingredients you need to make homemade dog food for your canine buddy, it is good to include salmon in order to add valuable nourishment to your dog’s food. As mentioned above, salmon is rich in protein, omega-3 oils, antioxidants, B vitamins, selenium, and potassium. These nutrients help maintain healthy weight and help fight heart disease.
Here is my dog’s favorite homemade dog food with salmon recipe from TopDogTips.com:
- 1 lb. salmon with skin
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil/olive oil (depends on your choice)
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 squash
- Cook salmon with coconut oil to prevent it from sticking in the skillet
- Cut the carrots, broccoli, and squash. Steam them until tender.
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender then mash them.
- Shred the salmon in a large mixing bowl
- Add the carrots, broccoli, and squash then mix thoroughly
- Add sweet potatoes and mix thoroughly
- Serve ½ cup per 25 lbs. of weight.
As I always advise other dog parents who visit me, it is always good to consult with your vet when it comes to feeding homemade diets. This allows you to feed the right amounts and meet your dog’s specific nutritional needs.
In conclusion, the leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for approx. 5 days, or freeze them for approx. 2 to 3 months in a container same specifics.
Kirkland Salmon Dog Food vs. Blue Buffalo
Both Kirkland Signature and Blue Buffalo are well-known dog food brands in the pet food market. They offer a range of dog foods from puppy diets to adult and senior dog diets, both manufactured in the U.S. where food safety laws are strict. Even better, they prepare a wide variety of dog foods including grain-free and grain-inclusive for small, medium, and large breeds. The brands’ various protein sources include chicken, lamb, salmon, and more.
Kirkland makes salmon dog foods for all life stages and sometimes uses salmon meal in some of its recipes which they mix with sweet potato. Their Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato, for instance, has 24% protein (and 14% fat content) which is good for your doggie friend though 6% lower than the recommended percentage. The product boasts 4.7/5 stars in 259 global ratings on Amazon from satisfied customers.
Blue Buffalo, on the other hand, makes salmon dog foods for adults only which use real deboned salmon as the first ingredient and protein source. Their Wilderness Salmon recipe grain-free dry dog food, for instance, has 34% protein (and 15% fat) which is ideal for your pooch and reaches the recommended at least 30%. The downside is that uses chicken meal as the second ingredient.
Like Kirkland Signature above, the product brags 4.7/5 stars rating on Chewy from satisfied clients.
In conclusion, Kirkland salmon dog food seems to have the upper hand as it makes recipe for all life stages with 3590 kcal/kg caloric content and does not use chicken meal like Blue Buffalo (3592 kcal/kg).
Salmon oil dog food
If you are planning on enriching your dog’s daily diet, then adding salmon oil is a fantastic place to start. This fish oil is rich in omegas (3 & 6 fatty acids) that help promote a healthy immune system, healthy skin & shiny coat, heart health, and cognitive function. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
How much salmon oil you should give your dog depends on the age, breed size, and also health. Did you know that salmon oil has properties that can help your dog fight canine cancer? Yes, and does so by boosting the immune system. Salmon oil dog foods are also used by vets to treat dog allergies and a range of health conditions such as arthritis and kidney disease. Also, salmon oil comes in handy in reducing excessive shedding by alleviating skin-related allergies.
That being said, salmon oil can be dangerous to your dog’s health if not given in balanced amounts leading to severe conditions such as internal bleeding and lameness.
Moving throughout from the best salmon dog food is your ideal solution to ensure your puppy not to contain any synthetic additives or colourants, which lead to your pet’s problem. Our advocated top choice is Canidae pet food to an easy purpose, which is as safer as it does. On the other hand, this product has no allergic substances, antibiotics and hormones. Please make sure you see their page while they are discounted for taking every once in a while.
Besides, this one is rich in also other fatty acids and protein. It’s produced from some ingredients in the united states as well as good for allergic stomachs.
Hi there! My name is Ben Walker and I am the editor here at 10PetFood. I have 7 years of experience as a pet care professional in the New England region having spent time in various roles including a stint at a veterinary hospital in Upstate New York, Syracuse area. I am a certified pet care professional and mostly spend my time researching pet nutrition or walking my dog.